- ⚡️ Interviewed Rachel Skelton for Inspiring Figures this month, she shared her inspiring story of being a Junior Software Engineer to an aspiring leader.
- 📝 I wrote about how I’ve adapted to working out at home and a quick check-in post about the effects coronavirus has had on my small bubble.
- 👩🏻💻 There’s been quite a few changes on my blog – from minor bug fixes to addition of new features including highlight and share and a support 💜 button.
- 🦄 I finally set up a support page. If you like my content and what I put out there, feel free to check it out. I’d really appreciate it! I’ve been overwhelmed with all the support so far 🥺
- ☁️ I’ve taken a few days off to enjoy longer weekends this month. I’m so glad that I have done because they were so needed during this time! My mind feels so much calmer.
- 👗 Sold more items on my Depop – to the point the folks at the Post Office know me by name and face. 😂
- 🍎 Used up more of our pantry! Less food waste. ✨
- 💰 I took part in no-spend May! Pretty chuffed with myself.
- 📦 Matt and I found an apartment we love!
- 🇬🇷 We didn’t go to Greece as planned.
- ☀️ But we’ve had some amazing weather in the UK
- 🎙 I spoke at BCS (Sheffield Branch) Mental Health Awareness Webinar about taking care of your mental health during this time. I also talked about blogging again as part of Leeds Libraries’ Tech Talks.
- 😁 I was featured on The Baby Developer Show.
- 🤔 As I’m reaching the end of my graduate scheme, I’ve been doing quite a bit of preparation for the next steps. Fingers crossed on what happens next — I’m determined to continue trying my best and providing value where I can!
- 🙌🏻 I’ve done some major updating of my portfolio and CV in preparation
- 🤔 I’m enjoying WFH. I think I could work remotely longer term…
3 Things that made me happy
1) Online Support 🌟
Since setting up my buymeaburrito page, I’ve had an overwhelming amount of people support me. 🥺 It means a lot that others have found my content useful or inspiring, it really motivates me to keep going!
I started everything Pawlean-related as a personal place for me to reflect, and hopefully have one or two people read my posts. Over the years, it’s just grown and I keep connecting with more people around the world who are all just amazing. 💜 I didn’t think I’d have such an impact on people, even though it is small – it’s impact nonetheless.
If you’d like to support me, I’ve set up a page which lists different ways that you can! Check it out here.
2) Speaking at virtual events 🎤
I’ve tried to keep my community spirit up by attending events if I could. I had the opportunity this month to speak at a few events which was a lot of fun! I’m still trying to get used to presenting virtually, the awkward siliences at the end of each talk still takes quite a bit in getting used to I think 😂
One thing I miss about presenting in person is the obligatory hand clapping at the end of my talks. 👏🏼🤪— Pauline P. Narvas (at home 🏰) (@paulienuh) May 22, 2020
It has also been great to connect with the wider community to help me feel normal. 😊
3) Having fun at home
I’ve spent more time this month away from work (I’ve taken a few long weekends) I thought that I’d feel bored at home, but I actually managed to find loads of things to do in my spare time. It’s a tricky balance of off-screen time off course, but I have felt a lot more at ease with my few days off with no particular schedule or commitment. It’s been so lovely 😊
May in Photos
- 📺 New Girl – I’m obsessed. It’s finally on Netflix so I’ve been binge watching it 🙈 I actually bought one episode when I was about 16 years old when my friend gave me an iTunes voucher (and Netflix and other streaming services weren’t really a thing…) It was a random episode so I didn’t really understand it, but now I have the luxury of binging from start to finish. Jess reminds me too much of me and my stupid experiences 😂
- 🍿 Pirates of the Caribbean – Matt and I watched all the Pirates of the Caribbean films pretty much back-to-back. It’s always fun getting immersed in films, but I have to say that as the series went on I was getting sick of Pirates. 🤣 The first one is amazing though!
- 🎸 Isolation Tapes by Mahaila – I’ve been listening to this album all month, it’s so good. If you’re unfamilar with Mahalia, I highly recommend that you check her out! Talented people though. 🥺 Here’s her doing a live version. GOOSEBUMPS.
- 🌟 Disney Family Singalong – Y’all know how much I love Disney. Volume I and II was exactly what I needed during isolation.
- 👗 DoYouEven (DYE) Order – I bought a few DYE sets back in March, it finally arrived this month 😂 I’ve switched up from my usual purple or black gear. 💚❤️🧡!
- 📚 The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution – such a great read!
Quote of the month
- 📦 We’ll be MOVING to our new apartment! I’m so excited.
- 🎂 I’ll be turning 24. Crazy how time flies.