How long has January been this year? For me, it feels like day 850. 😂But now we’re finally at the end of it – here’s what the month looked like for me!
- 💼I hit my 5 months at BT this month! I only have a month left for my first rotation as part of my graduate scheme 😱 It’s been such an experience, I’ve learned a lot and am continuing to do so!
- 🏡 Matt and I have been living in Leeds for 7 months now!! I know I’m feeling a lot more at home now (although Sheffield will always be home ♥)
- 🎬 I finally got myself a Netflix account and have finally caught up with the Marvel Universe films! (What the hell at Infinity War though…)
- 🎂Celebrating my Papa’s birthday!!
- 🥶It’s absolutely freezing
- 🏝 …But Matt and I will be chasing the sun soon!
Health & Well-being
- 💪🏼I started my first month with a Personal Trainer, I’ve learned a lot (including things I’ve been doing wrong over the last 2 years) and have already made some huge improvements in my strength in such a short time (quick shoutout to Ryan for being such an encouraging coach!)
- 🍏I made some positive changes to my eating habits including implementing IIFYM and dun, dun, dun… stopping my excessive snacking (this was so difficult, but I’ve rediscovered self-discipline!)
Online & Community
- 💜Kicking off 2019’s Inspiring Figures column was Brinda, who shared her thoughts around self-image, body positive and the dangers of eating disorders. She really moved me when we spoke and left me a lot to think about! You can check out her feature here.
- 🎤 I’m giving my first talk about my experience with burn out and ways you can improve your mental health and well-being whilst starting out a career in technology tonight! A write-up to follow ~
- 🔥 Georgie created a follow-up post for “Hey Girlfriend!“, check out the feature here including yours truly. I can’t believe it’s been 2 years since the first interview!
3 THINGS I’M HAPPY ABOUT
1️⃣ Working life
This month I’ve had the opportunity to get involved in some really exciting projects which have all been such a positive learning experience! Although there were times I felt way out of my depth, I ended up doing well and gaining lots of good feedback. 😊
I’m reaching the end of my first rotation in Digital Architecture and although, I know I’ll miss the team and the work involved (especially now that I have a better understanding of it!), I’m also looking forward to joining the Development teams. This scheme is truly a unique experience – I’m happy that I’m being pushed and challenged; I’m trying to make the most out of it!
In addition to my day-to-day, this month I’ve had the chance to help out at assessment centres (for the upcoming graduate intake), continue to work with my mentee as part of BT’s FurtHER programme and go to London for some training. These have all been incredibly fulfilling experiences.
2️⃣ Chilling out
One of my main goals this year is to chill out. Fully and truly.
Admittedly, I first found this very challenging. It was so tempting to continue working outside of my hours, or taking weekends to go help out at events. But after reminding myself of the horrible feeling of mental exhaustion that I experienced late last year, I’ve been practising the art of saying no, taking a quality over quantity approach and spending time understanding how to use Netflix 😆
Overall, I’m feeling much more refreshed, calmer, less stressed and happier.
3️⃣ Organising 2019’s adventures
Matt and I have spent some time organising our trips this year! We decided to make the most out of our holidays and to try and do more exploring outside of the UK (we only did this once last year 😱)
We have successfully organised a long 18-day trip around Europe (where we will be meeting Georgie and Nick 😭😍), Greek island hopping and a beach getaway next month! I’m really looking forward to seeing more of the world and something a little different to the everyday.
JANUARY IN PHOTOS
TFW you are given a task that feels way out of your depth and imposter syndrome starts kicking in. This is a reminder that you can learn anything if you are willing and that you rock. 🤘— Pauline P. Narvas (@paulienuh) January 21, 2019
…That always feels awesome.
For all my favourite items each month, check out my Amazon list! Makin’ it easier for you!
- 🎬 Netflix and Marvel Universe films have changed my life. 😂My favourite has had to be the Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers: Infinity War. I’ve also started watching DC but prefer Marvel 10x more!
- 📚 For Christmas, I was gifted the Chimp Paradox: The Mind Management book by Prof Steve Peters. It’s been such a fun little read before bed that has helped my understanding with ways to improve mindset and more!
- 🎧 Matt is probably sick of hearing this song but…
QUOTE OF THE MONTH
- ☀️ Matt and I are going on our first adventure of the year! There will be sun, sand and sea… which means Moana duties resume very soon. 😆
- 👩🏻💻 I’m speaking at the BCS Diversity in IT event. More information and to get tickets, check it all out here!
- 🎉 The end of my first rotation 😱
Leave a Reply