I usually don’t do anything for Bonfire Night. I never have really. The last time I really hyped up about Bonfire Night was when I was in primary school and we sang songs, read history and poems about the fireworks. At my old house, we lived up a hill (one of the many hills in Sheffield) where my sister and I would watch the fireworks from across the city. Once we moved and grew up, it wasn’t really a big deal.
But this year, aligning with my goal of getting more involved with things that I usually wouldn’t do, I went out in the cold to watch some fireworks go off instead of just behind my bedroom window. As sad as it sounds, I don’t think I’ve ever watched fireworks outside/been so close to where they go off in my whole life – ha!
I’m hoping I’m not the only one. This is where my friends will commonly comment: “You’re literally a real-life Rapunzel!”
I have to say, it was one of the scariest and exciting evenings I’ve had. Every time a firework went off close by or in the distance, it made me jump a lot but my ears got used to it after a while. It didn’t help that it was pitch black in the park we went to, only holding onto a flashlight to make sure we didn’t fall in the pond.
Have any of you played Slender Man: The Eight Pages before? That’s all I could visualise whilst we were making our way through the woods.
It wasn’t unusual that we got lost – you always get lost with me because I always have a strong feeling I know where I’m going when I actually really do not. With that said, getting lost is sometimes such fun! I was blessed with a beautiful view of the city lights and the fireworks throughout the city which looked and felt so much clearer and more awesome without the glass blocking everything.
It was cold. Really cold. I stupidly only wore my gym leggings and a very thin sweater underneath my huge coat so, by the end of the night, I was frozen. I didn’t regret it, even though I woke up the next morning feeling so unwell and had to skip my cardio day at the gym, it made great memories with great people.
I even got to play with a sparkler. Again, that’s never happened before so I was a little scared. It gave me flashbacks to my school year (when I was about 14 years old) during Design Technology, I was holding the soldering iron and didn’t have my long hair tied up (when teachers say, “girls with long hair tie your hair up” please listen!) I ended up having my hair drop down to the iron, burning it off my head.
Yep, ouch. I might’ve blogged about this before when I was younger, so some of you who have known me for a while probably already know that story.
Since then, every time I hold something hot that looks like a rod or stick of some kind, the memory always comes back. Luckily, no strand of hair came off my head or caught on fire that weekend.
It was a fantastic evening, I’m excited for next years! Next time, I’ll be definitely going to the main light show at my city. For those who celebrated, I hope you all had a fun and safe bonfire night!
Leave a Reply